Friday 9 October 2015

The East India Company Staunton Earl Grey Review



In an initial passing through East Indian Company's store in Covent Garden London I had a sampling of their earl grey which had almost entirely cooled in the pot. It had a very smooth balanced taste with just the right scent of fragrance.

I went back later to have a cup made for me. That one tasted quite a bit different. It gave off a neutral overall scent with a hint of something I had a hard time placing. No bergamot coming through like with some other brews. It has an overall smoky taste to it. Not too much that it makes you cringe but it is pretty much all you experience.  This blend features Neroli oil in addition to the bergamot which may attribute for its smell and was heated up in production to make it smoky. It is a blend that features black teas from both India and Sri Lanka and is based off the original recipe for earl grey. This tea has been around a while as the East India Company was founded in 1600. Oh yea they also were the first to introduce tea to Britian. Thanks for that one. Brew is named in honor of Sir George Staunton who introduced the western world to the Chinese manner of taking black tea.

I was told it's a good blend for iced tea at their store and judging by my first experience with the sample and getting towards the end of the cup I'd say the preferable way to experience it for me is on the cooler side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment